To ensure we are following best current practice in relation to our own data security and that of the websites we create and manage, we follow guidelines set by our fellow B Cubed member, Jeremy Swinfen-Green. An acknowledged expert in the field, Jeremy’s latest book on the subject, Cyber Security: An Introduction for Non-Technical Managers, is available now from all good bookshops (and Amazon). We are also able to call upon Jeremy’s expertise in relation to specific client-related queries.
For web, database and email hosting, we use Fasthosts, one of the UK’s largest hosting companies and a member of the United Internet Group. Their wholly-owned and UK-based secure data centres are part of a commitment to the latest connectivity and security technologies. Fasthosts has two data centres in Gloucester, UK, house thousands of the latest web and mail servers. Everything is maintained 24√ó7 by expert engineers, and they “spend millions on ensuring the very highest levels of uptime and security”. Features of the Fasthosts service include:
- The latest Microsoft Windows, Linux and Exchange mail servers
- Support for all major scripting languages and database technologies
- Unrivalled connectivity plugged directly to the backbone of the internet
- Fully redundant Tier 1 server connections no slow-downs or service interruptions
- Multiple aircon systems for the best data centre climate
- Humidity analysers and accurate temperature monitors
- Fire suppression equipment with FM-200 gas discharge within two seconds
- VESDA (Very Early Smoke Detection Apparatus) covering all areas
- Multiple redundant UPS systems give uninterruptible power to all servers and multiple diesel generators can run the data centres for days
- A team of engineers keeping an eye on the data centres 24 hours a day, so any potential issues can be predicted and prevented before they occur.
- Data Protection
We meet our legal obligations as laid down by the Data Protection Act 1998, ensuring that data is collected and used fairly and lawfully, processing personal data only in order to meet our operational needs or fulfill legal requirements. All of our staff are expected to acquaint themselves with, and abide by, the Data Protection Principles.
Our office systems are all password protected, as is our network. We backup to hard drive and DVD, both of which are taken off site overnight.